You can make the room productive and aesthetically pleasing by including the right touches.
Do you have a home office that’s an afterthought, provides function but has little thought to aesthetics? That happens to most of us at some point in our lives. Why not upgrade your home office into a personalized workspace that’s embellished with beautiful furniture, colour, artwork, and an area rug? A well-designed home office can help you stay organized, productive and sane.
A functional office is key, as is a high-quality desk chair that’s the correct height and provides comfort. But don’t just focus on function. Shop for stylish furniture that makes you feel good to be in your home office and proud to show the room to others, so you don’t want to shut the door when friends and family come to visit.
Entertain these ideas in your home office redesign:
- Customization of the space with a new desk and a comfortable office chair for the tasks you want to complete there, whether it’s major desk work every day or just checking your email once in a while. Look online at Staples, Eq3 or Wayfair for desks and brands like Knoll, Herman Miller and Humanscale for quality office chairs.
- Good illumination that includes ambient lighting and task lighting at your desk. Local lighting stores are still shipping out orders from their warehouse even if their showrooms are closed to the public.
- Forward-thinking about all the devices you need to accommodate, including computer(s), printer(s), charging stations, file cabinets and more. It might even be as simple as hanging a closet shoe organizer to store extra office supplies. A small cart on wheels is also a great way to roll up your office at the end of the work day.
- Hide computer and other cords in a cable box.
- Contain desktop clutter in a utility drawer organizer.
- Window fashions such as light filtering shades that block the glare on your computer and other devices. These shades can be motorized for easy access and function.
- Introduce new artwork to your office area to bring personality and inspiration. It could just elevate your mood and help you be more productive!
- Decorate your workspace with peel and stick wallpaper. If you need any decorating advice, I am offering virtual decorating consults which you can book through my website.
The above-mentioned items can be ordered online or through your local small business.
Make your home office into a reflection of your personality.
Excerpts from Hunter Douglas and Nancy DeVries